Two-thirds of the debt owed to the courts is for "forfeited bail"; essentially people skipping out on bail. Once a bail amount was set, the defendant paid 10% (or sometimes less) and then was still responsible for the remaining 90%. This 90% went uncollected for almost 40 years, resulting in a billion dollars owed to the courts.