A Resource Guide to Student Data Privacy
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- The U.S. Department of Education has a video explainer here.
- The full text of FERPA is here.
- A practical guide to how FERPA Works, with information on how to opt out of having your kid’s directory information shared from the Future of Privacy Forum.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
- How Schools Share Data. The Data Quality Campaign has a helpful infographic.
- What Every Parent Should Be Asking about Education Data, The Data Quality Campaign.
- Keeping kids safe online after school. Common Sense Media has questions and answers.
- Kids and identity theft. The FTC has guidelines on what to do if it happens.
- Think your child’s educational data has been improperly released? File a complaint with the Family Policy Compliance Office at the Department of Education.